Mob lynching & Police

The recent mob lynching case at Manipur involving a victim of 26 years of age who was an MBA from Bangalore & has been an entrepreneur running his own beverage company is shocking as the video of his brutally beaten, injury covered body lying conscious and in pain, surrounded by “sight-seeing” crowd and chattering like flies. This all has happened in the presence of police personnel in uniform & carrying their weapon. Should civil mob be allowed to take such severe measures at the pretext of maintaining law and order & doing justice themselves? Why have people resorted to such violent & horrific measure? Is it something related to the religion of the late, which belonged to the Muslim community? Are not people feeling safe in the hands of the judiciary? How to take into the accountability of the police personnel before whom the cruelty was spat? Why did they not act? Are they incapable of the responsibility they are assigned to? We need not remain puzzled with all the above questions but immediately find the answers. This is injustice even if the victim is guilty. Our constitution which we standby does not allow such an extreme form of atrocities, not at least publically & without found guilty before the judiciary.

One day after the office I was sitting in a park, which is lavish green & maintained by the police. It is in a huge area & civilians are allowed to wander there. I had some headache. While I was working on my laptop, silently enjoying the peace & the greenery, I saw that two police gentlemen while patrolling the park diverted their bike to me. First I did not react. Then they came closed & started asking me questions, what am I doing here, what is my salary, where do I work etc.? I answered all the questions calmly. In the end, they got nothing & asked me to open my scooty boot space. There also, the only helmet was there. Such a disappointment to them! So before leaving, they kind of asked me to leave the place as according to them, it is unsafe to sit here with my laptop & anyone could come and steal it from me! I was feeling insecure, unsafe more from those imaginary people they were mentioning, but them! Why such a situation has arisen? Should not they instead of lecturing me and indicating me to move out but guard my freedom of liberty & movability to sit just in any public place in India?

I am concerned & I believe that such incidents are not rare to you. Question is, how much concerned are you?

कहता मेरा मन मुझसे, देख ये क्या हो रहा
डर तू सही है सही, मुल्क ये बदनाम हो रहा
न किया अब जो कुछ, मैं मन, मर जाऊंगा
न किया अब जो कुछ, मैं मन, मर जाऊंगा

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our visit to Shanti Bhavan - Nagpur

Bring the kid or not

Ride and the Kalsubai Trek