Today, Panchgani


Amazing experience with overflowing & overblowing mountains, I am talking about today’s Panchgani cycle ride. I luckily got in touch with Mr. Sameer through a Whatsapp group, older in age yet much fitter than me! We decided to meet at Bibwewadi chowk by 4:30AM, so that we can drive to Khandala in the car, loading our bicycles in the rack. We expected to start kick start peddling by 6AM.

I have never woke up 3 ‘O’ clock in the morning for any ride preparation. For that, I slept by 9:45PM the night before. I had set multiple alarms to avoid delay but somehow I woke up before my alarm started screaming. Took an immediate shower, dressed up in my cycle suit (I love it!) & I was soon peddling towards the meeting point. We met in time.

Pune is an amazing place to do cycling. It has so many places nearby to ride and one can go in any direction and return with some memories to cherish! Usually, I had to start from my home for any ride, so there had always been a constraint to go farther. Well, we reached Khandala by 6AM in the car. We were delayed by 30 minutes since the car route in our plan was closed for some reason, so we had to take an alternate route which was longer. I count that to my advantage since you don’t drive around sleeping people, early morning every other day. Otherwise, there is usually traffic.

Khambat ghat was awaiting us as soon as we unloaded our cycles. It was a good ghat to ride, not much steep but long enough to warm you up. I was immediately lured to take photographs along the way. Sun was still to come by. Soon we were speeding through the downhill to cross the Khambat ghat, later we joined the national highway. It was cold here, colder than Pune. The sky soon turned orange, the road was ours. We rode speedily until we were on the Wai road because of the smoother road with not many holes really. As we turned towards the Wai road, well enthusiasm was there, hole in the road as well… It was straight & narrower but with village atmosphere & the farmlands both sides to cherish. I was breathing, this time not cautiously. You don’t get pure air every other day. These days, it is in great demand.

After Wai, Panchgani Ghat began. It was an exhilarating experience. Before this, I traveled here along with my family & I was dying to ride here and encounter the beautiful hills once again. I was so excited to clear this in my checklist! It was highly awaited. It was around 12 km steep ride. I had to stop few times to catch my breath & calm down my legs. Mr. Sameer was leading the ride in the whole ghat. I was looking ahead & he was nowhere to be found! Double my age, I don’t know how much fitter than me!

Soon, I had to motivate myself to push harder & continue riding without getting down & without relaxing. I tried my old technique of listening to drum beats. It didn't help much. I found it out of sync with my peddling. I was breaking down. The weather was cold & it helped a lot beside the scenery all around was all worth it to keep going. It might be 8 AM when we started the ghat. I was wishing to stop, sit somewhere and enjoy the view. From above the mountains, everything seems insignificant. You are way smaller, but yes your attitude is what all matters! I was lightened up, happier & I was enjoying every bit of it.

Panchgani is a beautiful hill station. It is clean, which matters the most. We had decided to meet at the Mapro Garden. Since Mr. Sameer was ahead & must have reached 20-25minutes before me, as soon as I reached I got my sandwich preordered! Thanks to Sir! So much energy again!

Phase 1 was done. It was a good inner accomplishment. We knew, phase 2, i.e. returning to the point where we started will be tougher one because we were tired & the sun was above us now to suck up the energy.

Cutting short, we rode back downslope through the ghat. It is brake & balancing which has to be maintained downslide. You have the privilege not to peddle! But soon, we needed to peddle & believe me, it is a test of your inner self. Not only your physical fitness but your mental attitude is important. It was getting hard. I was tired. We had sugarcane juice midway & pour some water on our head to recharge ourselves. Somehow my body was getting hotter, I thought it was the sun, later on in the night I realized, I am in a fever. I was in fever the previous night but I thought it is just because of office work. Luckily it didn’t bother me for a lot of time & I did not collapse until evening in my home.

Near the highway, I again poured some water on my head & then continued riding. I was now towards my tip point. Every single peddle was a test. I was painfully thinking, how to cross back the Khambat ghat which I did easily in the morning. However, we had some surprise along the way! Luckily, the ghat was bypassed through a tunnel & we didn’t have to peddle after that! It is my Eureka feeling! It was every bit worth it. I think it has leveled me up!

Thanks to Sameer Sir, he said, “I will drop you home & you don’t have to ride even a single peddle”. So grateful to you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our visit to Shanti Bhavan - Nagpur

Bring the kid or not

Ride and the Kalsubai Trek