The lizard, my room & her exit

It was evening. I came back from outside. I entered my room and put down the stuffs that I was carrying. Not so soon, I saw a lizard hanging by the ceiling. I rebounded surprisingly. I didn't know how it entered my room. The windows were closed before the curtains. Oh, it must have entered through the bathroom's glasspane and later would have ventured into my room. She was looking at me. I didn't even have the guts to do the eye contacting thing. I was aware that I was not alone in my room. I had to do something.

I took a minute to collect myself. I was obviously not comfortable with her presence. I could not have waited. Sliding my back through the wall, I reached the window & strung it open. The first task was done. There was a way-out. Does she know what was I having in my mind? What is she thinking at the moment? It's a one room & a kitchen apartment. Bathroom is attached. There is a rack above the bathroom where I could pack stuffs.

I had a broom kept on the floor. I took it up and waived at her. I was trying to lead her towards the window. Instead, she fell shocked and went the other way. I couldn't believe! It hid itself behind the rack & that's the beginning of a long evening.

She had black dotted eyes. Her mouth was tapered. She had a long tail. She was yellowish and had no spots in her skin. She was the usual lizard generally found in the Indian homes. The rack was up. I could not even see her. I needed to stand over the kitchen platform even if to see where it's hiding. What if she jumped upon me! I was afraid... This was some moment. I wanted no adventures here!

The evening seemed ruptured. I needed to cook the food. I did not eat since the last night. I was tired and already sweating when I climbed up the ladder. I set myself towards the kitchen, frequently looking back at the rodent. This time when I looked at her, she was little out & was peeking her head through the edge. She was observing me. It was a scary look. She may be planning to find an exit. It was a good sign. I did not bother and acted safe. I immersed myself in the cooking work.

I have seen people who are more reactive than me when it came to lizards. There are also people who do not bother their presence. They are perfectly cohabiting their space with them. They are family. They maintain their distance. I have also seen the violent ones. I wonder how easily they take hit over them and make them dead. One Jaina monk said that every living being, be it an ant or a human, care for their life. They protect themselves. They all want to live. It's an empathetic view. Every life matters.

In a while, I came to my room. After few minutes, when I entered the kitchen, I found that the lizard was outside the rack and is near the window. That was a moment. I stood frozen. I wanted her out & safe. I wanted no trouble. I took the broom and patted in the wall. Again, she gone mad and instead of exiting out of the window, flew back all the way towards the rack! That was a breakdown. I had no idea what to do. I had my cooker over the stove. I needed something to eat. I was going to cook Dal-rice.

This time, I stopped bothering. I knew that she herself had no long plan to stay. She would have realized that has entered a wrong place. I cut the onion & the tomatoes, flung them over the cooker and later put more stuffs. I came to my bed and was busy writing this blog! In some time, the cooker had whistled. When I went to the kitchen, lizard was hugging the window's edge. It was as if she was waiting for a las good bye! I waived a hand & she rushed out. Immediately I closed the window and took a relaxing breath.. My Khichdi was ready. I ate it along with the curd!... The lizard was gone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our visit to Shanti Bhavan - Nagpur

Bring the kid or not

Ride and the Kalsubai Trek