How helmet saved me

How a helmet saved me
First of all I must tell that till 24th April 17, around 7 O’clock in evening I had have hardly given any respect to the helmet we wear while driving vehicle. I was damn too careless. I also cycle in weekends with the whole costume and accessories on, but not the good helmet. Surely wearing helmet has other discomforts but it is meant for a different and an important purpose, of your safety. It takes few moments to change your entire perspective. It’s when you learn and it gets embedded in your vibe that it needs no revision anymore. I wonder how come I have passed this much of my life with this illusion. I worry when I think how many more lies must be there?
Yesterday, I asked Manoj for his bike to go to Atharva & I had told him that I will be getting back by 6 anyhow. Atharva is 10kms ride from my office. It is our franchisee. However I got late kicking back the CBZ. So at around 7, I started in hurry with the helmet on. To my surprise as I covered my face with the glass of the helmet & within seconds I realized that I am driving fast & an innocent lady is crossing by. The distance was short & I had it coming, the collision. I don’t remember much of it. I got slide in the road after hitting the lady in her scooty. I remember the sound of helmet dragging along the earth & me praying to myself that the helmet stays stronger. I had my eyes closed. As soon as I opened my eyes, I realized my head is completely safe & I was instantaneously thankful to the helmet. I rose up with the cry of the lady. She was really angry at me. I got out my helmet to realize that the glass has got scratched badly while it had saved me from infortune, Aunty got hurt and she was in pain. I was looking at her. I saw that my watch has been scratched, my pant was torn, and my new green shirt was safe but got dirty. There were few injuries at the knee and hands. Aunty was soon having tears in her eyes. The crowd started to crump up at us at the scene. Few helped us to raise our bikes. Aunty was still shouting at me. I quickly went to help her. I found her ankle was bleeding, her mouth was red with blood and her hand was paining. I asked her to move her hand while she was still shouting at me. A girl offered her water. Soon, she did ask me for water & I denied thanking her. Although foolishly I asked aunty if she has chewed Paan as her mouth was red I was scared for that.
Crowd was supportive. I quickly communicated to take aunty to the clinic. I was embarrassed to have hurt her. I couldn’t just see her crying. A guy from the crowd parked her scooty & as I started to move mine, I found that the clutch of it was broken. I had to park it roadside hurriedly. We took an auto then. After checking her up in a nearby clinic, she was allowing me to go, although she can’t walk properly out of pain. I then dropped her to her home in her bike.
Meanwhile I kept talking with her all the time to distract her from pain. I gave her my card and asked her phone number to contact later. During this whole time I was thanking to God & was feeling grateful to the helmet. The glass was scratched badly & that moment had shocked me. It's not bragging to say, one helmet had been martyred for me. 
Yes, aunty thanked me at the end for being supportive. I was satisfied with the change. I knew from beginning that I need to do this for MYSELF; else I would HAVE to end up with regret.
Next day, in the evening, I messaged her, ”Hello Aunty, Rohit Sharma Here. How are you now?”. She replied, “Good. Doctor said it will take 5 days for the swelling of the ankle to be normal. She has given me the antibiotics and pain killers. She does not think X-ray will be necessary, but she said we will have to wait for 5 days at least… Thank You so much for your concern .… I am Good ….”
Few things which are ticking at my mind: she was not wearing the helmet; what if we had collided the other way. Manoj’s bike is broken & it costs. My time was gone; I was speeding up to save it. The innocent lady got hurt for no reason & YOU ARE THE REASON when you introspect. So did me but million thanks to the mighty helmet to have saved me from something drastic. I wouldn’t have forgiven me for that if that had happened. Manoj has to walk to home without bike. Thank you Manoj Bhau for not being crazy at me... I wish one realizes the importance of the smaller things in our daily life for our wellbeing. Sometimes these are the small costs which sometimes cost us heavy. 
Have a great life and a safer ride!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our visit to Shanti Bhavan - Nagpur

Bring the kid or not

Ride and the Kalsubai Trek