Cycle trip to Sinhagad Fort


Today I have had a cycle trip to one of Pune’s attraction, Sinhagad Fort. It was my third such trip since living in the historic city. The trip was around 70 Km cycling which also includes 12 km of walking and dragging your cycle through the steep Mountains. We actually started 50 minutes late than the preplanned 7:20AM. I woke up late. Badri was the co traveller; he woke me up at 7:30AM. I chose to wear half cargo & a half T shirt & of course the shoes. I also carried one extra T shirt. Sunlight was blissful at the starting & weather was cold when I left home in the morning from Salunke Vihar, Pune. We chose to travel through our common meeting point Fatima Nagar. We got tyre pressure tested and kicked through Swargate to Sarasbagh nearing to Khadakwasla dam. It should be 9:30 AM till then. Sun was going to start hitting. Since it was Sunday, traffic will be bringing up in the scenic Khadakwasla dam & to the Fort at the top of mountain. We decided to move towards the road to Sinhagad Fort. It was easy traveling first 25 kms of the journey. Now there are steep mountains. Riding few kms at the mountain, I was tired. So we decided to stop and add to our energy with the carried fruits. We chose a stop under the shade of the mountain. That was helpful. I thought I would cover the next journey easier now with the energy boost, but mountain was rather mighty. I again stopped and sat on the road. By this time height was giving good view of the dam and the tall buildings of the city. I regularized my breath, had the realization of the prevailing peace and bird voices and started to cycle. Scenes started to add and the distance to the fort started to reduce. There were riders who started much early and were now returning. It was good to notice that they were all cheered us up. That motivated us to ride hard although Sun! Traveling farer, we stopped to have sprouts. Fruits and sprouts were carried by Badri without which it was tough to ride. When around 2kms left cold wind started to hit and it was blissful. It was like we earned the air. At the moment, Badri told me that “only 1km is left”, I cried tiringly, “Damn, 1 more to go!” As we reached up, we ran towards the shop to quench our hungry stomach. We ate tasty Kanda Bhajji, Pitla bhakri and a glass of fresh Lassi.

Children are really funny. Before starting to ride towards mountain, I stopped to buy some energy drink. There at the shop were 2 siblings who were amazed to see my cycle. Then there were children siting on the cars riding up. Returning was smooth. It hardly took us 15 mins to get down from the mountain leaving all the scenic beauty and peace. Then we stopped by the dam, got our leg wet and proceeded to Pune. Immediately there was more traffic and crowd and honks...

What I think that should be carried in the cycle trip? Take something high nutrient containing food like sprouts and fruits to eat along the way that will help in boosting energy on the way, also carry a bottle of water. Take necessary tools like Allen key. Bring goggles, helmet and gloves for hand, First Aid Kit. Bring one book for reading & a small carpet to sit.

It was a good experience today. Cycle trip is a source to push your limits and in knowing your capabilities.


Sitting on the way

While riding 

A view from the top

On the way




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our visit to Shanti Bhavan - Nagpur

Bring the kid or not

Ride and the Kalsubai Trek